September 22 - 23, 2021
This is a two-day workshop jointly organized by the IAAHS and ASTIN and intended as a refresher course covering Reserving and Pricing models and topics.
Introduction to Reserving
Introduction to Pricing
- Definitions and considerations
- The essence of reserving: assessing financial position correctly
- Data => Loss Triangles
- Basic Reserving Techniques
- Assumptions and potential issues
- Other reserving considerations
- The essence of insurance: the law of large numbers
- The essence of pricing: the equivalence principle
- Different pricing models for different situations
Michiel van der Wardt, MSc, AAG
Michiel is a senior actuary and risk manager, with more than 25 years working experience. As free lance actuarial risk manager, Michiel is providing actuarial and risk management services to insurance and reinsurance companies in Europe. Prior to his consulting work, Michiel has been working as Principal Insurance Risk Officer at ING, involved in compiling and challenging reserve adequacy analyses for all ING Non-Life insurance entities worldwide and developing Stress Tests for EIOPA.
During his time with ING, Michiel also acted as Chief Insurance Risk Officer and Chief Actuary for ING Mexico for 2 years, in which period he has been involved in solving serious reserve adequacy issues, implementing an Economic Capital framework and improving the governance framework.
Furthermore, he enjoys coaching actuarial analysts-to-be with their intermediate thesis, and also is examinator for the Dutch Institute of Actuaries. In addition, Michiel is vice chair of ASTIN Board of the IAA and is currently acting as Section Representative in communication with the IAA leadership.
Dr Frank Cuypers, M.Eng., M.Sc., Ph.D. Actuary SAV, DAV
Frank Cuypers is a nuclear engineer, with a M.Sc. in nuclear physics and a Ph.D. in theoretical physics. He comes with a prominent scientific track record in modelling complex systems and a vast lecturing experience.
As a former Swiss Re Executive and Chief Actuary of Zurich Re, he has accumulated a vast experience in most actuarial disciplines, which he now deploys to advise leading insurers & reinsurers with bespoke technical solutions. Moreover, numerous regulators and companies regularly appoint him to develop and validate risk and solvency models.
Frank is a fully qualified actuary of the German and the Swiss Actuarial Associations. He is currently the Chairman of ASTIN and he created the CPD Committee of the Swiss Actuarial Association, which he presided for 10 years. He is also a shareholder and actuarial engineer of Prime Re Solutions, an actuarial consultancy.
Day 1 - September 22
15:00-18:15 Singapore/Hong Kong time (click here for your local time)
"Introduction to Reserving" led by Michiel van der Wardt
Day 2 - September 23 (click here for your local time)
15:00-18:15 Singapore/Hong Kong time
"Introduction to Pricing" led by Dr Frank Cuypers
- You must be signed in to your IAA Account to register.
- You must register for each day you wish to attend by clicking the "Add" button.
- To continue with your registration, click the "Proceed to check-out" button and lastly click on the "Submit" button to complete your order.
- For each day you register, you will receive an individual Zoom link to add to your personal calendar.
- In addition to the Zoom links, you will also receive a confirmation email from the IAA Secretariat.