Terms of Reference
Created – 16 April 2013, Updated - 9 August 2016
Membership of the Committee is open to all IAA Full Member associations. The Committee also will have liaison representation from relevant supranational organizations.
- To represent the IAA in discussions at the international level on matters relating to health systems, with a particular focus on actuarial aspects.
- To raise the profile of health actuaries in policy debates and research on health systems.
- To support, through IAA Member Associations, actuaries working in the health systems field, both private and public.
To achieve the stated purpose, the Committee will:
- Seek to reflect the views of the worldwide actuarial community, as expressed by the Member Associations of the IAA, in discussions and debates at the international level on health systems issues.
- Liaise with the WHO and other relevant supranational organisations on actuarial involvement in health system research.
- Promote the public interest through developing the role actuaries can play in health systems research and debate.
- Work with Member Associations to develop guidance and promote best practice for actuaries providing advice on health actuarial matters, and to support the development of health actuarial education
4. Decision-making authority
The Committee operates within the IAA Statutes and Internal Regulations and makes recommendations for action by Council or the IAA Executive Committee as appropriate.
5. Operational Matters
Agendas and papers:
All meetings will have a formal agenda prepared by the Chairperson that generally must be distributed, along with required papers, at least one week before each meeting and made available on the Committee page on the IAA website.
The committee shall attempt to make decisions by consensus. However, where necessary, decisions may be made by a simple majority of the Committee members voting either at the meeting or electronically, with the Chairperson having a casting vote in the event of a tie.
The Committee reports to the Executive Committee (EC). To facilitate communication, the EC appoints one of its members to serve as the EC liaison person.
The Committee Chairperson will submit a proposed workplan and, where applicable, a related budget for the coming year, for EC consideration and approval.
The Chairperson will provide a written update report to the IAA Secretariat after each bi-annual Committee meeting.
The Committee will liaise with other IAA Committees and Sections as required to carry out its role and activities, and help these committees achieve theirs. This will include at least, where relevant, the IAA Health Section, Social Security Committee, Supranational Relations Committee and Education Committee.
The Committee will liaise with external stakeholders as required to undertake its role and activities, including, where relevant, the WHO, OECD, and World Bank.
These liaisons are subject to requirements and/or processes of the IAA Statutes and Internal Regulations, and established policies and protocols. Public statements are made in accordance with the Branding Policy and the Due Process for Making a Public Statement.
Other operational matters:
The Committee will share information regarding developments and initiatives in relation to matters relevant to health systems via the Committee page on the IAA website.
6. Subcommittees and Task Forces Reporting to the Committee