Terms of Reference
Created—4 November, 2008 Last revised—12 May 2013
Membership of the Subcommittee is as defined by the IAA Internal Regulations.
To provide advice and assistance that will support the development, organization and promotion of the actuarial profession and actuarial education in Africa.
- When requested, to identify needs in Africa to which the IAA could respond either at the individual, national or regional level, and to recommend a prioritization of those needs for the IAA response.
- With due regard to the Subsidiarity Principle (Article 8 of the Statutes – Cooperation), to liaise with the authorities, actuarial associations and actuaries of the selected countries/regions to assist in the development of the actuarial profession, actuarial education and professionalism.
- To coordinate the response of the IAA and its sections and member associations to requests for assistance from the authorities, actuarial associations and actuaries of the African countries/regions.
- To ensure that the Advice and Assistance Committee is kept well-informed about the development of the actuarial profession and actuarial education in Africa.
- To provide a forum for interaction between actuaries and others having a particular interest in the development of the profession in Africa. Â
- To work with IAA Member Associations and their corresponding committees and task forces to promote the coordination and harmonization of the contributions of each entity.
- To work with the AWB Section of the IAA to access volunteer resources to carry out specific projects in furtherance of the role of the Subcommittee.
- To carry out its responsibilities in conjunction with the Advice and Assistance Committee and to prepare recommendations for consideration by the Advice and Assistance Committee.
- To facilitate the process of non-member associations in Africa becoming Full Member Associations of the IAA.
4. Decision-making authority
The Subcommittee operates within the IAA Statutes and internal regulations and makes recommendations for consideration by the Advice and Assistance Committee that will subsequently make a recommendation to the IAA Council or the IAA Executive Committee, as appropriate.
5. Operational Matters
Frequency of Meetings:
The Subcommittee will meet at least twice per year either in person or by teleconference. At the discretion of the Chair, there may be additional teleconference meetings.
Agendas and papers:
All meetings will have a formal agenda agreed by the Chairperson which must generally be distributed, along with required papers, at least one week before each meeting. Agendas and meeting papers are available from the Subcommittee page on the IAA website.
Minutes of each meeting will be prepared and distributed as soon as practicable after each meeting. Minutes are available from the Subcommittee page on the IAA website.
Reporting on Committee Activities:
- The Chairperson will prepare a report on the activities of the Subcommittee for inclusion in the agenda of each meeting of the Advice and Assistance Committee at least two weeks before each such meeting.
- The Chairperson will also provide a written update report to the Advice and Assistance Committee after each Subcommittee meeting.
- The Chairperson (or designee) will be available to participate in a discussion of the Subcommittee’s activities at each meeting of the Advice and Assistance Committee.
IAA Liaison and External Liaison:
Liaison roles are as defined in the Advice and Assistance Committee terms of reference.
Other operational matters:
The Subcommittee will share information regarding developments and initiatives in relation to its work supporting the development of the profession in the Africa region via the Subcommittee page on the IAA website.
6. Subcommittees, Working Groups and Taskforces Reporting to the Subcommittee
Try to solve the new Formula Cube! It works exactly like a Rubik's Cube but it is only $2, from China. Learn to solve it with the tutorial on rubiksplace.com or use the solver to calculate the solution in a few steps.