Terms of Reference
Created – xx, Last revised – 3 February 2014
Internal Regulations 4.1.2
The terms of reference of the Nominations Committee are as follows:
- The Nominations Committee shall be responsible for recommending to Council suitable candidates for election as:
- Members of Statutory Committees (Audit and Finance; Executive; Nominations) and of other committees whose membership is limited as set out in such terms of reference adopted by Council or the Executive Committee from time to time; and
- President, if the incumbent President-Elect is unable to take up the position.
- The Nominations Committee shall be responsible for recommending to the Executive Committee suitable candidates for appointment as, with such appointments subject to the ratification by the Council:
- Delegates of the Council to Section Committees;
- Members of committees whose membership is limited as set out in such terms of reference adopted by Council or the Executive Committee from time to time; and
- Chairpersons and vice-chairpersons of Committees and other positions as determined by the Council.
- In all its recommendations, the Nominations Committee must seek to achieve a balance in diversity which will include, but not be limited to, culture, language, gender and geography, as well as an appropriate range of skills and practice areas.
- The Nominations Committee may put forward more than one candidate for a position, but not more than three, when it is considered that each of them would, if elected/appointed, carry out the responsibilities and fill the position with equal distinction and the choice among them will not disrupt orderly guidelines of the Nominations Committee with respect to balance. The Nominations Committee must provide to the Council (or Executive Committee, as the case may be) a description of the merits of each candidate.
- The Nominations Committee may operate by means of a telephonic, electronic or other communication facility, and need not have a face-to-face meeting to determine its recommendations, provided that the chairperson ensures that the views of all the members of the Nominations Committee are considered.